Welcome to my one hundred and first post!
It’s been a challenge to get the right moment to plug this little sucker in! The wet weather and my work schedule at the nursery made it all but impossible to find a window of opportunity to plant this little garden on my days off, but finally there was a break in the rain yesterday afternoon.
It’s not ideal to work in wet soil, because trampling it compacts out the air spaces in the soil and helps to create mud and clay. Damaging to existing plants, it is. Fortunately, this is something of a container garden on a large scale. It’s a front raised bed, built as part of the house’s foundation. The orientation of the house and steps made it more sheltered than I’d expected. Its own tiny little microclimate. Once I fished around in the soil I realized it was only wet for the top two inches! Completely dry below that. All I needed was a break in the rain for my own comfort. It came at last.
My friend Patrick designed this little plot for a neighbor who sits halfway between our two homes. I’ve installed several of Patrick’s designs, and this is one of my favorites. Lovely mix of succulents. They had three well-established existing plants, including native Californian Ceanothus and Fremontodendron. The succulents are a water-appropriate selection to combine with the natives.
The clients also had a few succulents of their own to add to the mix. I’d delivered the plants on behalf of the nursery a couple of weeks earlier, and when I showed up to plant, the pile had grown! Gorgeous specimen plants they had added, so it all worked out just fine. 🙂
Here are the pix, with some before-and-after shots: